The game has, thus far, had a distinct lack of polish. I started to add some of the essentials, and just with a bit of rocket fire, it looks so much better and conveys actions so much clearer.
Added so-called elastic collisions for asteroids and other things today. This is a pretty big deal because collisions and reliable collisions was one of the main issues with developing in Multimedia Fusion. This is the first official feature (except maybe for the eight player support) that goes beyond the state of the original project.
Powerups which refilled your ammo, adding a satellite gun with some ammo which also acts as a shield was a key feature back in the original project. Now it’s added, in addition to a marker system indicating where things are located outside of the current field of view.
Today I decided on adding eight player support, because why would you limit local gameplay to just four? Also, that seemed to have been my 2016 ambition, although I don’t clearly remember my motivation for having that then.
Today I got around to create basic UI and state machines for being able to making a choice on what type of game to play and which players will participate. This involved quite a lot of thinking in regards to how player input will be read and mapped to various, local players.
A virus pandemic, small child and heaps of saved up vacation somehow landed me in the conclusion of taking an epic seven week summer vacation. While I’m spending most of it going to local playgrounds and gobbling through the flavours of the local ice cream bar, there have been some time for project reflection.
So, I decided on picking up an old project, and the pick landed on StriCOD. I got half-way there, porting it form Unity from Multimedia Fusion four years ago. Since then there have been lots of interesting new features added to Unity. As a matter of fact, picking up the basics from where I left up was a rather smooth process. I’m looking forward into working a more long-term project again. : )
Back in 2016 I was inspired by Pokemon GO to go for geo-location as a means of mapping the game world onto the real world. This idea was not new to me as it was part of my master thesis work back in 2012.
At the time I instead wanted to go for physical RFID tags and AR markers, thinking GPS to be too rough and inaccurate at the time. Then I reconsidered and found the project MapzenGo by brnkhy. This was really fun to play around in, but the project was halted due to the developer being hired by a company providing this type of service commercially, MapBox.
Recently I have played around a bit with the free license of this, more polished tool. We’ll see when I find the time to really pick up this project…
Finally discovered the official “pixel camera” which was released in Unity´s package manager last year. From the top of my mind this will be useful for five of my projects: PickaBoog, Fagerman, Slice n Dice and Stricod and Gr3at M4gician. I don’t have that much time over for my projects at the moment, but this is at least something!
In addition to taking a new trajectory of the project, I’m also porting the old gameplay from Multimedia Fusion to Unity. The new engine have clear advantages in code and overall structure, but it’s quite lacking in terms of pixel graphics support. However, there is always a way when you have somewhat deep code access.
I have come to the conclusion that I would like to continue on my pervasive game ideas. So I looked at my collection of semi-started projects and decided that I should try and merge some of them into one, more fleshed out, idea. As a result, Stricod i no longer just a small local vs SHMUP but will expand to be that as well as absorb gameplay that I designed for my old TREC submission for the NASA hackathon in 213 (moved it’s post to this project) and ideas I had for my old browser game back in high school.
I found this open project called MazenGo and started working on a prototype.
A major reason for me to look into this project again is also that some old friends got interested in it after I unintentionally pitched the idea. They want to work on the back-end, works for me. :)